Thursday, March 22, 2007

Seeing the World Through Rose Colored Glasses

I just read a post on a blog that I read regularly, and it got me thinking. Am I viewing the world through rose colored glasses? I like to think I see the best and people. Maybe I am just living a fantasy. Housewife thinks that unless our blogs are private for family and friends we should limit or maybe even eliminate the personal information on our blogs. After reading her post it made me think about how irresponsible I had been. Have I used my kids names? Yes. Had I mentioned things they did? Yes. Have I mentioned where they go to school? I don't think so. Have I mentioned where we live? Yes, that is in my profile. Are my kids safe? I hope so. As a parent I like to think that I have done everything in my power to keep my kids safe, but maybe I haven't. Do I frequently check websites to see if registered sex offenders live near me? You bet I do. Have I checked every single one of the kids' parents in my girl scout troop? Yep. Overkill? I don't think so. My sister had a father of one of her girl scouts on the list. He liked to hang out off to the side during her meetings. He never spoke with the girls, but they all knew who he was, so there was no stranger danger. When she found out that he was registered and not to be around children, she called his parole officer. Boy did that ever make his wife angry.

Now I have sort of lost my train of thought. Anyhow, this has got me to thinking...I need to be better about what is put on my blog, for the safety of my whole family. This for me started out as a way to stay in touch with family and friends, but has become something more than that. I am not prepared to make it private because I would lose the input of the few readers that I have, that I both enjoy and respect. Thank you Housewife for reminding me to take my shades off indoors. TTFN, Miki

No comments: