Saturday, May 17, 2008

School?

So here I sit, on the lunch hour of my first class since being back in school. Ugh! I sure hope this isn't going to be what it is like. I mean really...! Now I am remembering why I didn't finish the first time around. I wasn't challenged enough to study, or pay attention, or go to class for that matter. Of course this time will be different. I am older and wiser, or maybe just older. Hopefully I am not as cocky as I was back then. I really just want this to be done with.

What class am I taking? Well it is a lovely class called Introduction to Microcomputers. It is required as part of the nursing program. As is another lovely class I need to take called College Success Skills. I opted to take the computer class over two Saturdays, hoping to not draw out the agony anymore than I need to. I am glad I made this choice.

The first part of the morning was about random thought regarding the computer and anything sort of computer related. We learned the history of numbers, and loads about Lord Byron, yes the poet. Did you know he had a club foot? What this has to do with computers I am not sure, but it was a tangent and he went with it.

The last hour was spent learning all about the world wide web. I now know that it wasn't created by Al Gore...sorry Al. Of course I already knew that, but whose keeping track. Actually the only really useful thing that I have picked up today was regarding HTML code. I know very little about this. Of course anyone reading this blog and who understands the code, knows that. Again, who is keeping score. Anyhow,...I know have a better understanding of HTML, and maybe now I can tweak my blog. Of course I am not sure how that will help me with nursing, but we shall see.

During the first part of my lunch break I was telling my husband that this class really didn't seem to be designed for students who were working towards any type of degree. Most people in college are much younger and have never known anything other than using a computer. This class seems better suited for older students, who have lived in a hole in the ground for the thast 10-15 years, or for seniors who don't quite understand how it works. Or maybe for people who have a VCR that is still blinking 12:00.

Well gotta go, lunch is almost over, and I need to get back to it. I will keep you up to date. TTFN, Miki

No comments: